Charge to the Congregation
Joe B. has answered our prayers and our call to lead Sardis in the direction that God is calling us. We have very high expectations of him; here we are, come lead us. However, if we step back and think about it, we must also levy high expectations on ourselves; his congregation. It is a two-way street and each and everyone of us is charged to do the following:
- Pray for Joe B. daily. He is taking on an awesome responsibility and our abundant prayers will surely lift him up.
- Make his family part of our family.
- Pray for Sardis daily. God knows where Sardis can go, let’s talk to him about it.
- Introduce yourself to Joe B. and have a discussion with him. One of his strengths is listening; if you introduce yourself to him, he will remember you.
- Get in the game. If you are on the sidelines waiting for something to happen, jump in and help make it happen.
- Give him positive feedback. If you disagree with him about something, tell him so in a caring and constructive way.
- Be patient and forgiving. Guess what, Joe B. is not perfect, and he may even make a mistake or two along the way. Let’s show him that we do not expect perfection from him, just as we do not expect to be perfect ourselves.
- Respond with “yes”. If you are asked to do something, do it cheerfully and graciously. We are asking Joe B. to lead us; not to do all of the work by himself.
- Sardis has a rich tradition, but let’s not wish for what Sardis use to be; let’s make it what it can be. Pope John XXIII said “tradition means protect the fire, not preserve the ashes.” Let us all fan the fire.
- Finally, be mindful and respectful of Joe B.’s “downtime”. Like all of us, Joe B. will need his time to relax and recharge.
May God bless Joe B. and his ministry to Sardis.
Delivered by Les Ingles on Sunday, February 25.